Lessons From a Bic Pen
Life Lessons Through the Use of Everyday Items
[ig_button size=”large” color=”red” link=”http://mandmteam.com/LESSON.PLAN.LINK.GOES.HERE” target=”_top” ] Scripts & Lesson Plan [/ig_button] [video_lightbox_youtube video_id=”STEP.BY.STEP.TRAINING.YOUTUBE.CODE.GOES.HERE&rel=false” width=”640″ height=”480″ anchor=”Step-By-Step Training”]
[ig_toggle heading=”View Object Lesson – Key Points” onload=”closed”]
When I think of the common “BIC” pen and our Christian walk, I think of many ways the “BIC” can be used to affect our lives. Let’s think of a few of these comparisons.
1. One of the most apparent uses of a “BIC” is to serve as a writing instrument. The writings may be a beautiful poem or a saying that endure through the ages thus providing strength and guidance over the generations. Have you gotten a random note that encourages you to keep on though the path was rugged? How about reading a Psalm just for the relief and encouragement it provides? We as believers should have that same sort of positive impact on people we associate with. First Corinthians 10:31 declares: 31”Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 32Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God, 33just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved”. Colossians 4:6 reinforces this even more by stating, “Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one”. One of our most apparent objectives as a believer is to make our statements uplifting, sensitive and assuring for those who cross our paths.
The contrast to this pleasant impression is when a “BIC” is used to tear down and destroy like when the reader receives hateful, vulgar or words that discourage and demean. From a clearly societal perspective, using this type of verbiage is now for the most part, socially acceptable and often even encouraged. As a result, the Christian’s pleasant conduct becomes even more outstanding versus just standing out.
Jesus declared in Matthew 5: 13, “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men”. I often thought this passage meant a silent Christian (one who looses their saltiness) was useless. I began to think of how the Roman highway system was created which in turn allowed them to conquer the entire known world. Wet clay mixed with salt equaled the mechanism used by Rome to unite the world under their flag! Salt is worth more than just the foundation on which a society is built? It is also useful as a flavor enhancer, medical relief, monetary exchange and preservative to name a few but even trampled underfoot is significant though falling short of its maximum impact.
The passage continues, “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven” That is why we should write the words of Christ on the hearts of man through what we say and do!
- BIC’s come in many colors and sizes which come in packages or individually but the uses are about the same. Every color can create beautiful things independent of the rest but when they are used effectively together, each color enhances the beauty of the others. The purpose is to put on paper the thoughts of it’s user in a very colorful and memorable way. So is it as part of the body of believers since we are uniquely different but all united in one purpose, which is to serve the Lord and reflect his beauty. Colossians 1:15-23 shows the inter-relationship of God the Father, Christ His Son, and us his people. “He is the head of the body, the church” of which we are integral parts”. You can use a BIC pen artistically and create an etching worth thousands or a picture so disgraceful one wishes they could erase the image from their memory.
- You can use a “BIC” to scribble an emergency life-saving message or scribble on an expensive picture destroying the picture as a result. We too can share the life-saving message of Christ or “scribble” misinformation in word or deed on the expensive, one of a kind picture of creation and redemption provided in the Bible with the outcome of destroying that picture. You can use a “BIC” to write a check drawn on an account that assures the payment and cares for needs of yourself and others. We likewise, can write a check drawn on the Bank of Heaven with literally eternal returns that start right away. Some people believe they are or should be found adequate by their own conduct since they can in fact point to many others who are worse than they are. However, Romans 3:23 says otherwise. The atonement (being made right) comes, not from what we do or did, but by belief in Christ’s work for us. Romans 3:24 declares the solution; “And all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus”. Our return on the check is found in John 3:16-18, 16”For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. 18“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God”.
Jesus wants us to have life abundantly (John 10:10) so completely that he even provided for the one who feels he may not known enough or be able to believe enough. A man with an ill son came to Jesus as recorded in Mark 9:23; and Jesus said to him, “If£ you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.” 24Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” The repentant seeker will always be cared for! The check continues to pay out when we see in Revelation 3:20 “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me”. Eternal life when we trust Christ’s payment for our sin then the promise of the Holy Spirit referred to in Revelation 3:20 to help us on a daily basis.
The other choice we have is to write a worthless check drawn from a bogus or overdrawn account which makes the check worth no more than the paper used to print the check! An example of that worthless spiritual account is reflected in Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”. The proof of its worthlessness is God himself judges the deceiver who promoted the account as genuine. Look at Revelation 15: 10-15, “The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where£ the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. 11Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. 12And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before £God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. 13The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. 14Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second £death. 15And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire”. Jesus died to ensure our Bank of Heaven was guaranteed but ironically, if we choose the alternative we actually have to volunteer to go to the Lake of Fire! The choice is clear and the choice is for each of us.
- Use the “BIC” to accent by underlining or circling important words or sentences worth remembering. As Christians, we are the Lord’s accent reflected by the memory of the Lord on the minds of those we have contact. First Corinthians 10:31 declares: 31”Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 32Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God, 33just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved”. Colossians 4:6 reinforces this even more by stating, “Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one”. One great opportunity to provide that accent as a believer is to make our statements uplifting, sensitive and assuring for those who cross our paths. Living out our faith is being a sermon in shoes!
- If you remove the marking mechanism i.e. the ink tube and ball point end, you can use the pen cylinder to annoy others by shooting spit wads at them. The same pen cylinder can be used as an emergency breathing device (temporary tracheotomy tube) to save a person from suffocation. As believers, we have the opportunity to greatly affect others in very positive or negative ways similarly to the opposite uses of the pen cylinder.
- Use as a relaxation device by slowly spinning or rotating the pen between your fingers. The Bible is a similar relaxation device for our soul. The Book of Psalms has hundreds of comforting verses alone. The Bible tells us how to have our sins forgiven, our guilt relieved and a clear path to satisfaction and abundance in life. It will not help if it is not used. Today is a good time to start.
[ig_toggle color=”black” heading=”Listen To The Podcast” onload=”closed”]PODCAST.COMING.SOON[/ig_toggle]